Fatal plane crashjes Since 1970 for Iran Air
The following events are those involving at least one passenger death where the aircraft flight had a direct or indirect role. Excluded would be events where the only passengers killed were stowaways, hijackers, or saboteurs.
- 21 January 1980; Iran Air 727-86; near Tehran, Iran : The aircraft hit high ground in snowstorm during approach. All eight crew members and 120 passengers were killed.
- 3 July 1988; Iranair A300; Persian Gulf, near Straits of Hormuz: Aircraft was shot down by a surface to air missile from the American naval vessel U.S.S. Vincennes. All 16 crew and 274 passengers were killed.
- 8 February 1993; Iran Air Tours Tupolev 154M; Tehran, Iran: The aircraft was departing on a nonscheduled flight from Tehran-Mehrabad Airport to Khoram Dareh when it was involved in a midair collision with an Iranian Air Force Su-22 that was on approach to the same airport. All twelve crew members and 119 passengers were killed.
12 February 2002; Iran Air Tours Tupolev 154M; outside Khorramabad, Iran:
During descent, the aircraft hit Sefid Kouh mountain at about the 9,100 foot level (2773 meters). The crash site was about three nautical miles to the left of the extended runway centerline. There was rain, snow, and dense fog in the area at the time of the crash. All fifteen crew members and 105 passengers were killed.
- 1 September 2006; Iran Air Tours Tupolev 154M; near Mashad, Iran:
The aircraft was on a scheduled domestic flight from Bandar Abbas to Mashad.
After landing, the aircraft departed the runway and caught fire.
All 11 crew members survived, but 28 of the 137 passengers were killed.
2 January 2008; Iran Air Fokker 100; Tehran, Iran: The aircraft was on a scheduled domestic flight from Tehran to Shiraz, Iran. The aircraft skidded off the runway during the takeoff attempt which was attempted in snowy conditions. There was reportedly landing gear damage and a post-crash fire, but all six crew members and 53 passengers were able to escape.
- 9 January 2011; Iran Air 727-200; Flight 277; Urmia, Iran: The aircraft was on a scheduled domestic flight from Tehran to Urmia, Iran when it crashed near the destination airport. All 12 crew members and 65 of the 93 passengers were killed.
http://airsafe.com/events/airlines/iranair.htm -- Revised: 20 July 2014